A few words of advice to the young, painfully earnest and overly energetic guy that coaches my 6.30 am masters swim workout.
1. Please do not bound over to me when I first arrive at the pool. I am not awake, despite the appearance of being so. Talking to me before I’ve actually swum for 20 minutes might result in a snarl or worse from me.
2. Best to not talk to me until I’ve finished my coffee, actually.
3. Please do not assume that I want to chat with you while I’m doing a set. I do not. I have limited time in the water before work, and I’m not sitting in cold chlorinated water to socialize. That’s what clothing and happy hour is for. Besides, you’re not my friend.
4. If you’re going to give us a workout, please consider providing more than just 50 repeat drills. That gets boring and makes me grumpy. Variety is nice. So is yardage.
5. Timed swims are never a good idea. Nor is forcing us to jump off the blocks when the cover is off.